Nick posted about the award and mentioned the wonderful people who have organised surgeries over the last three years in the UK. They’re enthusiastic, generous people who make stuff happen.
While the Big Society Awards acknowledge individuals and organisations across the UK that demonstrate the Big Society in their work or activities, I thought I should mention the surgeries outside the UK. It’s great to see an idea that originated in Birmingham spread to other shores – and I’m keen to hear how the surgeries are working in other countries.
Here are the wonderful people who have taken the social media surgery model abroad and run their own events:
- Pauline Sargent – Drimnagh, Ireland
- Binaya Parajuli – Kathmandu, Nepal
- Maurice Specht – Den Haag, Netherlands
- Marlon Parker – Cape Town, South Africa
- Chris Pinchen – Barcelona, Spain
- Jigar Patel – Fredericksburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Carolyn Deuchar, a Senior Research Officer at New Zealand Tourism and Research Institute, also likes the idea:
Do you know other surgeries I haven’t mentioned here?